This position reports to the Director of Release Management. You will perform builds and deployments, design and implement methods for improving the development environments and processes, and improve use of SDLC tools and processes. You should be interested in automating processes and integrating those processes with the SDLC toolset.
This position requires scripting experience in PowerShell. In this position, you will continue to automate and improve our build and deployment processes using Azure DevOps in a hybrid cloud / on-premises model. Some other tools, such as Visual Build Professional, may also be used.
There are a variety of tasks involved in the position and you will not be scripting full time. Besides scripting, you will perform builds and deployments. You will also work with various company teams and should have some interest in quality assurance, IT infrastructure, databases, system administration, process improvement, audit activities, and writing internal documentation. You will need to juggle working with several teams and simultaneous tasks.
The position is based at Veros’ Santa Ana headquarters. Due to COVID-19 precautions, the position will be primarily home-based at this time and will require regular in-office presence when restrictions are lifted. An occasional office visit could be necessary during the times of COVID-19 precautions.
You should have 2 to 8 years’ experience with PowerShell scripting, builds, and deployments in a Microsoft environment using Windows Server platforms. This is not a suitable position for candidates at the lead or architect level.
- Experience working with Microsoft Windows Server platforms, including IIS and Windows services.
- At least 2 years’ experience with PowerShell programming (primarily version 5.1).
- Experience creating and performing software builds and deployments with Microsoft ASP.NET technologies using some form of scripting language or tool.
- Good understanding of SDLC lifecycle concepts, including source control, defect tracking, automated build systems, and production control.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong problem-solving skills are essential.
- A self-starter who can assess and resolve problems with moderate to limited supervision and can learn from mistakes.
- Strong attention to detail.
- A flexible schedule with the ability to work evenings and weekends when required.
- Ability to follow established procedures and processes.
Experience with the following is beneficial:
- Experience with other scripting tools and languages on Microsoft Windows platforms, such as Kinook Visual Build Professional, MS Build, batch, Perl, and/or Python.
- Basic to intermediate level programming experience with .NET, C#, ASP.NET in a Windows environment.
- Ability to apply good software development practices to scripting (such as unit testing, source control, code reuse, modularization, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience in improving SDLC processes.
- Familiarity with Azure and Azure DevOps implementation and administration.
- Experience implementing and maintaining CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience implementing automated testing, code analysis, and validation in the release pipeline.
- Familiarity with PowerShell 7.
- Administrative and user experience with SDLC tools such as Jira, Subversion (Visual SVN), Git, Confluence, and SharePoint.
- Experience writing basic SQL queries and working with relational databases (preferably with Oracle databases, but working knowledge of another database, such as Microsoft SQL Server, is sufficient).
- Administrative experience on Windows Server platforms.
- Experience working with IT infrastructure (networking, load balancers, firewalls, etc.)
- Basic proficiency with Linux (navigation, shell scripting).
- Ensures releases follow appropriate processes and have appropriate documentation.
- Ensures key stakeholders are kept informed of the progress and the state of software build and deployment activities.
- Assists in administering and improving the SDLC toolset.
- Follows processes and assists with process improvement, including reviewing, and updating, documenting processes.
- Assists with routine audits and software escrows.
Build and Release Management:
- Automates and troubleshoots build and deployment processes.
- Maintains and operates build and deployment environments.
- Maintains documentation of build and deployment procedures, environment requirements, etc.
- Performs software builds and deployments according to procedures and debugs related problems.
- Maintains software build and deployment scripts.
- Assesses, defines, and performs improvements to build and deployment processes and environments to increase performance and reliability.
H-1 Sponsorship: No
Government Authorization: The person hired in this position will need to undergo a background check and approval through the Veterans Administration (this is a background check, not a security clearance). It does require filling out government forms and being fingerprinted at a Veterans Administration facility.
Travel: No regular travel is anticipated. Incidental travel may be necessary on occasion.
Veros is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.